fredag, augusti 21, 2009

8 KOMMENTARER

I can barely remember when was the last time I blogged.

I've been meaning to blog. Really. But sometimes it just slipped my mind -
The last weeks had been pretty busy too. Busy working; busy catching up with friends. I think I went out far too often and spent $$$ far too much :(


Michael and I still try to religiously see each other. At least once a week.


----------


I spent last weekend in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

I came home after work one day and announced "Hey guys! I'm flying to Siem Reap for the weekend." - my mum freaked out. Probably because she thought I postponed my trip after being sick the week before. But, of course, I went anyway :)

Michael decided to tag along. He said it'll be our chance to really get to know one another.

I like the airport in Siem Reap. It is really cute. Very Khmer-ish ;)
Michael arranged for airport transfer so the driver came to pick us up in a really fancy schmancy car. Pardon my ignorance - but I didn't know Cambodians drive on the other side of the road. I was too tired from the early morning flight (I guess!) so I didn't exactly pay so much attention to my surrounding.

Our hotel is situated maybe about 10mins away from the city center. It was really, really nicely designed. The staffs are amazingly efficient too - check-in was done while we were busy sipping fruit punch and they let us into our room even though it was only 10am.

And we had a huge room with a huge bed too ♥


----------


We spent the afternoon in town - very small but cozy town. Full of tourists of course. Too many bars/cafe/restaurants; I have no idea which one to choose. Since I was already rambang mata, Michael dragged me to The Blue Pumpkin (close to the Old Market) for lunch. Nice place to chill at after walking under the hot sun; also good place to mingle with other tourists.



The Blue Pumpkin (interior)


I made an appointment at this spa place in town (sue me for being a girl!) so I dragged Michael there - after we did some shopping at the Old Market.

Wasn't that far though. Only about 15mins walk from the center -
It was a really nice place. The spa is called Visaya Spa & Pool; located inside the compound of FCC Angkor. We both had what they called Visaya Touch of Heaven. The spa package was amazing - it includes foot bath, scrub&wrap, massage and facial. Oh. We also had candle-lit romantic bath ;)

Which led to Michael being asked by one of the masseuse if I'm his wife. Life wtf?
With the exception of having his fingers entwined between mine and us sharing quick kisses - do I look like a wife?


Visaya Spa & Pool


It was four hours - but a great way of spending four hours.
A bit overpriced too (we were charged $158 /pax) as I've had equally great spa for only $60 in *cough* Jakarta *cough*
But I guess it's because they're using that fancy Jurlique product :)

Michael paid for us both because my credit card failed to work. So that was like RM1,119 *shivers* BLOODY HELL!

The next day - we did what we went there for. Rented a tuk-tuk and spent the whole day at the temple complexes. We visited Angkor Wat (of course!) - which was simply amazing. Then the tuk-tuk took us to Angkor Thom where we visited Bayon, Baphuon and several other smaller temples. We had lunch at one of the stalls nearby - which was great; because I get to try traditional Khmer dishes.
It was still rather early when we left Angkor Thom; so we decided to explore Ta Prohm. It was less busy as compared to Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom - and I admire it. You can see trees growing out of the ruins; which isn't a usual sight :)

I was supposed to meet up with Nikki (a girl I 'met' on CS) but unfortunately we didn't get to cross path -- she already left when we arrive at Khmer Kitchen. But spending time with Michael was great nevertheless :) We walked around after dinner; thought of chilling out at X Bar but it was pretty dead. So we settled at Angkor What? on Pub Street.



Angkor What?

For the whole three days; I had a fab time. I enjoyed Cambodia. I met really nice people, saw the amazing temples and experienced the "real life" Malaysia sometimes is missing. But at the same time - it was also hard for me to digest.

Cambodia is full with beggars. Not to critic or insult; but life is very difficult over there - especially if you're unlucky enough to have walked on a landmine; if you've lost your parents or were abused and had to go live on the streets; if life brought you down and made you unable to feed your family. Those - are the hardships some of these unlucky Cambodians had to face.

As a result -
You see kids trying to sell you bracelets/books/postcards. You see them everywhere. They learned to say simple sentences like "X bracelets for X dolaaaaar" or "Money to go to schooool" - and they look at you with a really sad face. It made you want to help them but you can't because there are just too many of them. And sadly, you can't help all :(
At their age; I was still playing with my Barbies in the comfort of my home. Therefore seeing these kids on the streets almost brought tears to my eyes.

But on the other hand; Cambodians are struggling to live and they will grab every opportunities they have to improve their conditions. It is almost a culture. I was at a gallery with Michael - we were being ignored by the sales girl; because she was so busy chatting up a Japanese guy.
And of course (like most other Asian countries) more attention will be given to Western travelers. Michael was lucky because he was with me ;)


Being in Cambodia made me realised how lucky I am to be me; to live in my country. But I love it there. I would love to go back - this time to visit other parts of Cambodia; to immerse myself in the local culture. And not just being a tourist.


----------




KAMRAT
akmaelinda
alia
aliza
elly
farihanna
farizah
hana
hanie
huda
jessica
lisa
michelle
michy
najwa
neena
shari
thomas
wahida
wan emy


FAVORIT
aimi
air asia
blogs @ expatwomen
couchsurfing
facebook
fitness first
heather
hello mag
kim & nadiana
leo woerterbuch
perez hilton
spotted by locals
the flying pinto
the star
vivy
wen pink


RESEBERATTELSER
andrej
benno
darina & gergö
isa & sammy
nico & roman
popagandhi
wild junket


Archives
april 2009
maj 2009
juni 2009
juli 2009
augusti 2009
september 2009
oktober 2009
november 2009
januari 2010
februari 2010
mars 2010
maj 2010
juni 2010
juli 2010
oktober 2010
november 2010
december 2010
januari 2011
februari 2011
maj 2011
juli 2011
september 2011
oktober 2011
november 2011
januari 2012
februari 2012
mars 2012
maj 2012
juni 2012
juli 2012
januari 2013
februari 2013
april 2013
maj 2013
juni 2013
juli 2013

TACK
designer
host
flickr