Mum woke me up early this morning with the news - the passing of my favorite movie director;
Yasmin Ahmad. It was shocking.
Really. A couple of days ago she collapsed and was immediately sent to the hospital; where she went through an operation.
On that very day; I received
Twitter updates saying she passed away. But those were just rumors. Until today - because it wasn't just a rumor anymore :(
She sets a very high standard of quality in our film industry. Remember Sepet? It is one of Yasmin's controversial film.
But it is also extraordinary. Despite criticisms (even from one of the ministers) the movie touched many hearts. And gained international recognitions. And her ads. Yasmin beautifully choreographed heart warming ads - who can forget those various Hari Raya/CNY/Deepavali adverts? They always make me,
at least, all teary eyed.
Her works teach us the message of love and forgiveness where race and religion are never an obstacle to knowing each other much better. She made every Malaysians want to be a Malaysian; she reminded us that we
have always been and
will always be Malaysians.
But of course this last sentence doesn't apply to those with "I can find better living in
(put whatever Western country here)" thinking. So what if you've lived/studied abroad - it doesn't make you
less Malaysian. You're still holding that bright red Malaysian passport and that blue identity card.
I have to say; I was
once that person I mentioned above. But I realized early enough to bring myself back to the ground.
Thank you Yasmin for the thought provoking movies; for the heart warming commercials. Thank you for reminding us that neither race nor color, creed or religion can define an individual. Your passing today left a deep void in me - knowing I'll never anymore enjoy the great movies and ads you have in store. But God loves you more. I'm sure now you're in a much better place.
Thank you Yasmin. Thank you so very much. May you rest in peace.
Al-fatihah.